Note: Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub is an in-place upgrade for the existing AirWatch Agent. That means that if you are an AirWatch customer today, the Agent app will update to Intelligent Hub. The upgrade to Intelligent Hub is non-disruptive and you are not required to change any settings in the Workspace UEM Console. All your existing use cases will continue to work. However, if you want the full digital workspace experience, with added features, you will need to enable Hub Services.
The iOS and Android Intelligent Hub apps are more than just a rebranding of Agent. It is the single destination where employees can securely access and discover corporate resources, connect with people, and complete workflows anywhere from any device. The two core tenets of Intelligent Hub are seamless employee engagement and consumer-simple productivity. To achieve this vision, we have built services like App Catalog, People and Notifications (referred together as Hub Services) that can be enabled on-demand and at the pace of your business needs.
Hub Services are cloud only and deployed along with VMware Identity Manager. Hub Services are configurable from Workspace ONE UEM Console (requires 1810+) or VMware identity Manager admin console. Some Hub Services features require VMware Identity Manager (IDM) hosted to be configured and setup.
Let us walk you through how you can enable these additional features in Intelligent Hub and deliver more value to your employees beyond what AirWatch Agent already provides!
Deliver a best-in-class, enterprise app store by enabling Hub Catalog service
The first thing an employee needs to be productive at work is quick access to apps that they use every day. But we also understand that the catalog should allow IT admins to securely deliver apps, restrict app access and manage the entire app lifecycle. Our new Intelligent Hub App Catalog provides an engaging user experience without sacrificing on enterprise-grade security.
To enable Hub App Catalog, you need to follow few simple steps listed below:
Activate Hub Services
- Log onto Workspace ONE UEM console and navigate to Groups & Settings > Hub Configuration.
- Enter your VMware Identity Manager (IDM) tenant URL, if it is not pre-populated for you. Note: Hub services are hosted along with VMware Identity Manager thus your SaaS tenant URL for IDM is required. You don’t need to have VMware Identity Manager already configured and setup.
- If you do not know your VMware Identity Manager tenant URL, please file a Support Request.
- You can use your hosted UAT IDM environments (identified by <name>.vidmpreview.com) to enable Hub services and test catalog, people, notifications feature. Enabling Hub Services with a production IDM environment (identified by <name>. vmwareidentity.com) will result in an access error until the updates are released.
Establish Trust Between Hub Services and UEM Console
- Launch the Hub Services configuration pages by clicking on the “Launch” button.
- If trust has been established between VMware Identity Manager and UEM, then Hub Services can use that information to communicate with UEM. UEM Integration page will be pre-populated for you and you will be single signed into Hub Services configuration page. No further action is needed, and you can move on to next step.
- If no prior trust has been established, you will need to navigate to the “Getting Started” page on the UEM page to make a connection with VMware Identity Manager (please refer to the screenshot below). Once the connection is established, the launch button will single sign you into Hub services configuration page.
Configure the Hub Services App Catalog
- Select the Customization Tab to customize the in-app experience for Intelligent Hub app.
- Note, this is optional step. If you don’t customize the experience, you will get default branding and out-of-box catalog experience.
What you can configure:
- Organize how apps appear in the App Catalog by adding sections and display order.
- Turn on/off app ratings feature to allow your users to like/dislike an app.
Apply Hub Services Custom Branding
- The Branding Tab allows you to roll-out a brand-able experience for Intelligent Hub by using your company logo and colors.
- There is a live preview to help you visualize the changes, and when you choose Save, the branding is applied in near-real time to the Hub app.
- Note: These branding settings will over-ride any branding you have previously set up in the UEM console if you ran the Intelligent Hub in Management-only Mode (no Hub Services).
Turn on the Hub Services Catalog in the UEM Console
- Once you have configured the Hub Services Catalog, you must go back to the UEM Console to enable the Hub Catalog across the UEM deployment.
- Navigate back to the UEM Console by clicking “Back to Hub setup” button on the top right.
- Go to All Settings > Apps > Workspace ONE > AirWatch Catalog > General > Publishing and enable Hub Catalog for iOS and Android platforms.
- Optionally, you can disable and decommission AirWatch Legacy catalog on this page as well (“iOS” and “Android”).
That’s it for the Hub Catalog. With these few simple steps you have rolled out an amazing catalog experience for your end users. You will not only be able to manage app access but be able to promote and recommend apps. They will be able to search and browse for internal, public, and web apps published via UEM and provide likes/dislikes or feedback via email.
Note: You don’t have to reassign apps to users. Existing configurations set in UEM console will be applicable.
Here is a quick view of how the App Catalog experience within iOS Intelligent Hub app will look like:
Enable the Home Tab in Intelligent Hub
As an option, you can enable the Home tab feature from Hub services configuration page.
Home tab allows you to embed an externally-facing company portal or resource portal to centralize information access for your end users in Intelligent Hub app.
Some details about the Home Tab:
- The Home Tab is enabled in the Configuration Tab
- You may choose First or Last position for it in the app naviation toolbar
- Home Tab will open in the default browser
- The Intelligent Hub app does not natively handle authentication or tunnel resources within the corporate network. You must manage the device and provide VPN or Tunnel access via UEM for this case.
Enable Full Hub Services Experience with VMware Identity Manager
By enabling the Hub Catalog service and Home Tab, you have successfully taken the first step towards delivering a great digital experience.
You can take it to the next level by enabling VMware Identity Manager(IDM), which unlocks new services like Single Sign-On (SSO) for your mobile, web, Horizon, and Citrix apps, People and Notifications services to provide an engaging digital workspace. Navigate through the following sections to deliver the full digital experience with IDM.
Setup VMware Identity Manager
- Configure and setup VMware Identity Manager based on your use case. Documentation available here.
- Navigate to Hub services configuration pages from UEM console or from VMware Identity Manager admin console. To navigate to Hub services configuration page from VMware Identity Manager console, go to Catalog > Hub Configuration and click on Launch.
Configure and Enable People
- People service allows your end users to lookup their colleagues profile and org hierarchy. This quick access to information will help break silos and make employees more productive.
- To use this service, map and sync directory attributes required for People directory. Instruction on setup can be found here.
- Make sure People feature is turned on by checking the Hub services customizations page.
Enable Notifications Service
- Notifications service allows you to notify end users about important messages. End users can take actions directly on messages. Notifications related to new app entitlements will be available out of box. In addition, using the APIs (published via VMware Code) can be used to create custom notifications.
- Make sure Notifications feature is turned on by checking the Hub services customizations page.
Update Source of Authentication in UEM Console
Once you have enabled IDM, you must then turn on IDM as the authentication source in the UEM Console.
- On UEM console, go to Groups and Settings > All settings > Devices and Users > General > Enrollment and change the Source of Authentication for Hub from Workspace ONE UEM to Identity Manager.
That’s it. With these few simple steps you have rolled out digital workspace! Here is a quick view of how end user experience within iOS Intelligent Hub app will look like:
VMware Workspace ONE People
VMware Workspace ONE Notifications
Support Contact Information
The VMware Workspace ONE Team
Other Languages: 日本語