Migrating One VPP Account to One Location
This recommended migration strategy is preferred and should be used if at all possible.
The recommended method for migrating VPP accounts into Apple Business Manager (ABM) or Apple School Manager (ASM) is to create a new, unique location for every VPP purchaser account in your organization. This prevents orphaning licenses on old VPP accounts and ensures you will be able to renew the corresponding tokens configured in the Workspace ONE UEM console.
This approach does not result in any gaps of functionality in ABM or ASM. All licenses which are part of a purchaser or location no longer in use by an organization can be easily transferred to a preferred location for use in Workspace ONE UEM.
Migrating Two or More VPP Accounts to One Location
This migration strategy should not per performed unless the previous method is not an option. Unless careful steps are taken to migrate VPP purchaser accounts in the correct order, there may be irreversible consequences resulting in uninstalling apps on your devices.
Note: There are several dependencies to this process for which VPP purchaser is migrated first to a location and what your current organization group structure is in Workspace ONE UEM console.
Below are the steps to perform and expected behavior:
1. Migrate VPP Purchaser #1 to Location A
2. Migrate VPP Purchaser #2 to Location A
3. Make no changes in Workspace ONE UEM console
- The new token downloaded from Location A will be able to renew the VPP Purchaser #1 token currently in the Workspace ONE UEM console
- The new token downloaded from Location A will not be able to renew the VPP Purchaser #2 token currently in the Workspace ONE UEM console. This is true for all future VPP Purchasers migrated to Location A.
- All licenses (assigned + unassigned) from VPP Purchaser #1 will migrate to Location A, but still remain part of the VPP Purchaser #1 token currently in the Workspace ONE UEM console. There should be no impact to installed app licenses.
- Only unassigned licenses from VPP Purchaser #2 will migrate to Location A and will be removed from VPP Purchaser #2 token currently in the Workspace ONE UEM console. All assigned licenses will not migrate to Location A and remain part of VPP Purchaser #2 token currently in the Workspace ONE UEM console until unassigned and migrated to Location A.
Please review your organization’s specific configuration and needs prior to migrating to avoid falling into a dysfunctional state.
Support Contact Information
The VMware Workspace ONE Team
Other Languages: 日本語