Apple released the iOS 11 operating system and other updates on September 19th, 2017. Subscribe to this page to get the latest on AirWatch’s features and functionality on the iOS, macOS, and tvOS platforms.
AirWatch Console support for iOS 11
- For on-premise environments, the database seed script is available. All administrators with on-premise environments should run the iOS 11 seed script to ensure that the OS is properly added to all applicable drop-down menus in the AirWatch Admin Console. The script should be run on all environments running any supported AirWatch version up to v9.1.4.
- For SaaS environments, no action needs to be taken. Please note that specific model display names for iPhone devices will be added in a separate script.
Security Enhancements for MDM
App Transport Security (ATS) will be a requirement for MDM communication
Since VMware AirWatch adopted ATS with iOS Agent 5.2 last year, changes made to the server infrastructure should satisfy the requirements for MDM communication as well. For more information on the required server changes, please refer to this KB article.
Trust for SHA-1 signed certs and certs using RSA key sizes lower than 2048 bit has been removed for all TLS connections in iOS 11, macOS 10.13, and tvOS 11
Server certificates used for AirWatch server infrastructure including Tunnel, SEG, as well as On-Premise Exchange servers (if devices communicate directly) will need to be upgraded to SHA-2 or higher. This change does not affect:
- Root certificates
- Enterprise-distributed certificates
- User-installed certificates
- Client certificates using TLS-mutual authentication
Alert: Customer action may be required
Apple requires action for Apple School Manager and Device Enrollment Program to keep working. To learn more, please review our KB article.
AirWatch iOS application support for iOS 11
Prior to the release of iOS 11, please ensure your end users are leveraging at minimum the specified version of each iOS application below to fully support iOS 11. Note that some of these applications may not yet be available, but they will be released in the coming weeks and updated in the chart below. Each of these applications will be made available in the App Store prior to the release of iOS 11.
For information on how to push application updates to devices, see the How to push out application updates to all assigned users article.
AirWatch SDK Update
There are no observed issues with the SDK and iOS 11. However, if you are using the AirWatch SDK in your apps and plan to develop apps using Xcode 9 once it is released, you will need to update to the iOS SDK 18.104.22.168 (once it is released). Existing applications and development being done using older pre-9 versions of Xcode are not affected.
iOS 11 GA
- AAPP-3888: Managed apps unable to use “Open in” workflow on iOS 11
- BINXI-5663: Whitelisting DLP policy restricts adding from Photo Library when enabled
- AAPP-3927: iOS 11 devices do not show the Wi-Fi password tab to connect to Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi profile has ‘WPA2 Enterprise’ security type
- [RESOLVED 8/29/2017] Cannot device wipe a Supervised iOS 11 device. For fix information, please see our Version & Downloads section.
For additional information on the current Beta versions available, please refer to the Apple Developer page.
All SaaS environments will be updated with the resolution for the issue. On-Prem customers can get the patch for their respective versions below:
Support Contact Information
Customers testing the beta versions of the releases on their AirWatch devices are encouraged to submit any feedback by contacting AirWatch Support. To open a Support Request, please call your local AirWatch support line or submit a Support Request via myAirWatch.
The AirWatch Team