How do you update the DB Connection String for On-Premise environments?
Use the DB Connection Tool located in the supplemental software directory to update DB connection String values. The tool can be found here: Install Drive:\AirWatch\ AirWatch X.X\Supplemental Software\Tools\UpdateSQLServerInfo. When you launch the tool it will be populated with the current Connection String information. Modify the sections you want and click Update.
When trying to login to the AirWatch console or perform actions within the console you may receive the error message "The transaction log for database 'AirWatch' is full."
This typically means that there is no available space on your SQL server. The common cause for this is backups not being deleted even though newer backups are being done, or lack of transaction log backups. To fix this issue you should first consult your local database admin and make them aware of the issue. The fix that we recommend is to perform a full database backup and then switch the database to simple recovery mode. Your database admin should be familiar with this and know how to perform these actions.
What data is stored in the AirWatch database and for how long?
All information that is collected and stored by AirWatch is contained in the AirWatch database server(s). The only piece of data that AirWatch stores by default and is considered sensitive by international standards is the device phone number.
- Additional information that is stored by default includes device status, device compliance, device OS etc.
- GPS logging is disabled by default but can be enabled and considered sensitive data.
- End users can also create content that may be sensitive in nature such as device names, user names or location groups. It is possible for end users to create content that is considered PII without AirWatch knowing the sensitive nature of the content.
- All of the sample data and event data is purged from the DB by a configurable SQL server job. In SaaS Shared environments AirWatch keeps only 30 days of sample data. For a standalone environment, clients can set their own retention policy.
Which SQL versions and DB Collation does AirWatch support?
SQL Server Version and Edition Support
- AirWatch 9.1 and later versions are supported on SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2014, and SQL Server 2012.
- Both Enterprise and Standard Editions are supported, however, Express Edition is NOT supported because it does not offer all of the features that are used by AirWatch.
- It is recommended that the AirWatch databases are operating on 64-bit editions of Windows and using the 64-bit installation of SQL Server.
SQL Server Collation: AirWatch supports SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as the server AND database collation ONLY.
What are some recommendations when installing on virtualized hardware?
You can install the AirWatch database on physical or virtualized hardware. If installing on virtualized hardware, ensure you are following the VMware and Microsoft best practices for SQL deployments. Also ensure I/O requirements can be met and the overall virtual architecture supports AirWatch requirements.
How many connections does the DS server use to the DB?
The max database connections are set to 150 per Application Pool and Service: Currently in production on each DS server we have: 4 Application Pools:
- AirWatch Local
- AirWatch API
- AirWatch DS
- AirWatch SSP
And 8 Services:
- AW Tunnel Queue Monitor Service
- AW Entity Change Queue Monitor
- AW Interrogator Queue Monitor
- AW Interrogator Server
- AW Log Manager Queue Monitor
- AW Master Queue Service
- AW MEG Queue Service
- AW Messaging Service
Totaling 12 * 150 max connections = 1800 per DS Server.