Latest versions of .NET package require update to PowerShell v3.0
This technical bulletin covers updates to the required version of PowerShell when implementing the Mobile Email Management direct deployment model with Microsoft Exchange.
- AirWatch version 8.1 included an update of the .NET package to version 4.5.2 (it was previously .NET 4.0). Although the .NET version was upgraded, all core framework continued to use features from .NET 4.0. This included the use of PowerShell v2.0 (for direct MEM deployments).
- With AirWatch version 8.2, core framework began using features associated with .NET version 4.5.2. This updated set of features requires PowerShell version 3.0, which is not packaged by with .NET 4.5.2.
- 8.2 Console/Device Services application servers began to see errors with PowerShell commands initiated from application servers that were not upgraded to PowerShell version 3.0.
- Some application servers may not be affected if regular windows updates are applied. PowerShell v3.0 is included in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012.
Mitigation steps – SaaS customers not using ACC for PowerShell
- No mitigation steps required. AirWatch SaaS Operations is actively validating the PowerShell version on our application servers, and upgrading where required.
Mitigation steps – SaaS customers using ACC for PowerShell and on-premise customers
- Verify the version of PowerShell running on all AirWatch application (Console/Device Services/ACC) servers.
- From PowerShell command line, run “$psversiontable” as seen below.
- If the “PSVersion” of the application server is less than 3.0, download Windows Management Framework 3.0 from the Microsoft Download Center and follow installation instructions. Please use a different browser if you are redirected to install a compatibility pack for Word, Excel, PowerPoint file formats (this was seen in our internal testing when using Google Chrome).