A provisioning profile is for Apple iOS authorizes developers and devices to create and run applications built for Apple iOS devices. For an internal Apple iOS application to work, every device that runs the application must also have the valid provisioning profile installed on it.
Before you renew:
Note: You must acquire a valid provisioning profile from Developer/Vendor.
A valid profile needs to be generated from the same developer used to sign the application initially and valid for the application ID. You can confirm the profile is valid by using a device that installed the application, connect to XCode. You can remove the current provisioning profile(s) from a device using XCode, and load the new profile to make sure the app continues to function.
More information on iOS certificates and code signing: https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/
Renewing Before Expiration
VMware Workspace ONE allows you to renew your Apple iOS provisioning profiles without a reinstallation on the devices. The VMware Workspace ONE Admin Console notifies you, 60 days before the provisioning profile expires. Use the expiration links in the Renewal Date column under Internal App List View on the Internal tab.
- Navigate to Apps & Books > Applications > List View > Internal.
- Select the expiration link (Expires in XX days) for the application for which you want to update the provisioning profile in the Renewal Date column.
- Use the Renew option on the Files tab to upload the replacement file.
- Select the Update Provisioning Profile For All Applications setting to apply the renewed file to all associated applications. Select No if you only intent to apply the profile to the current app
- Workspace ONE silently pushes the updated provisioning profile to all devices that have the application installed.
Renewing After Expiration
When an Apple iOS provisioning profile expires, device users cannot access the associated application, and new device users cannot install the application.
- Follow steps 1-4 as described above
- The devices does not need to re-install the application to utilize the updated provisioning profile
Note: The above information can be found on page 45 of the Mobile Application Management Guide.