Enabling Device-Based VPP Assignment
Below are the steps that you can follow to assign VPP apps by serial number:
- Ensure your devices are running at least iOS 9.
- Now navigate here in the console: Apps & Books > Applications > List View > Purchased.
- Click the app in question that you would like to assign by serial number.
- Ensure you click the Enable Device Assignment option if you haven't already.
- Now click Add Assignment By and then Licenses Codes By Smart Group.
- Click Select Smart Group and you now can choose the Smart Group that needs to be used.
- In the Allocated field to the right, assign the amount of licenses that are needed for this Smart Group.
- Save the window and your devices should receive this app.
There are few things to keep in mind after you make the changes above:
- All it takes is one assigned app that is not setup for device based assignment for the device to require an Apple ID. For example, if you assign app X to an iPad and it is setup for device based app assignment. That app will assign just fine without an Apple ID. Now, if you assign app Y and it is still using the old assignment model. you will need an Apple ID for app Y to install.
- You do not need to accept a VPP invite for device based enabled apps, however, you may still see a prompt that says your environment will be assigning apps. That is a prompt that is still sent by Apple for both assignment methods. The difference is the need for an Apple ID.
- In this example you have app X and that you just enabled it to be device based. App X was already assigned to 10 devices using a Smart Group before you made that change, in order for those devices to have app X assigned by device, the Smart Group will briefly have to be removed, the app page window will have to be saved, and then the Smart Group will have to be reassigned so the app assigns by serial number.