Manage Multi-User Devices with Shared Device Mode
The Shared Device settings described below are specific to AirWatch versions 7.1 HF2 and above. Please refer to the 7.0 guide linked above for earlier 7.1 builds.
AirWatch offers the ability to share mobile devices among your employees with either a single fixed configuration used by all end-users or unique configuration settings depending on the individual end-user, while maintaining device security at all times. Issuing a unique device to each employee can be expensive and, with this capability, is rendered unnecessary. AirWatch Shared Device/Multi-User Device functionality ensures security and authentication are in place for every unique end-user, and if applicable, allows specified end-users access to sensitive information.
When administering shared devices, first provision devices with applicable settings and restrictions prior to deploying devices to end-users. Once deployed, AirWatch utilizes a simple Login/Logout process for shared devices in which endusers simply enter their directory services or dedicated credentials in order to log in to a device in their name. Access to corporate resources including content, features, and applications is based on the end-user's role within the organization, so the features and resources available after device log in are configured for the needs of the individual end-user. The Login/Logout functions are self contained within the AirWatch Agent, so the device's enrollment status is never affected, and the device can be managed in the AirWatch Admin Console whether it is in use or not.
- Android 2.3+ and iOS deviecs with AirWatch MDM Agent v4.2+
- AirWatch 6.2+
- Device enrolled to User Account that has Device Staging enabled
Enabling Shared Device Mode
To enable Shared Device mode for the Organization Group, navigate to Devices > Settings > Devices & Users > General > Shared Device.
- Select any one of the following applicable radio button to enable the Group Assignment Mode that meets your shared device requirements:
- Prompt User for Organization Group – Select the option to prompt the end-user to enter a valid Group ID and credentials to log in to a device, thereby allowing the device to leverage the settings, applications and content of a particular Organization Group.
- Fixed Organization Group – Select the option to restrict the end-user to a particular Organization Group when they log in to a device. A Group ID is not required, but an end-user may be prompted to enter credentials to log in to a device.
- User Group Organization Group – Select the option to use the User Group-to-Organization Group mapping configured in the AirWatch Admin Console to determine access to settings, applications, and content.
- Note: The User Group-to-Organization Group mapping is done on the console. Navigate to Devices > Settings > Devices & Users > General > Enrollment. Select the Grouping tab and fill in the required details.
- Note: Single App Mode applies only to Supervised iOS devices.
To enable Shared Device mode for a User Account, navigate to Accounts > Users > List View > Edit User. Once on the Edit User window, select the check box to enable Device Staging, and select Multi User Devices. Click Save when done.
Checking Devices Out/In
To check out a device:
- Launch the AirWatch agent on the device
- Enter your Group ID (if required), Username, and Password
To check in a device:
- Launch the AirWatch agent on the device
- Navigate to My Devices
- Select Check In and then “Yes” when prompted.
Staged Enrollment Process for Shared Devices
Similar to single-user device staging, multi-user device staging allows an IT administrator to provision devices that will then be used by another user. However, multi-user devices require configuration of the device to accept any allowed users to sign-in and use the device as necessary.
- Ensure Shared Device Mode is enabled at the appropriate Organization Group for Multi User Device staging to function correctly. Enable this setting by navigating to Devices > Settings > Devices & Users > General > Shared Device.
- Navigate to Accounts > Users > List View and select Edit for the specific staging user account.
- Enable Single User Device staging, and select "Standard" or "Advanced", then Click Save. From this point on, the user may stage devices. Please note that the Device Staging users cannot have any devices enrolled themselves.
- Navigate to the enrollment URL using the native browser on the device and enter the proper Group ID.
- Follow the remaining prompts to install the MDM profile and complete the device enrollment process. Once you are done, the Login screen is displayed and prompt any users of the device to log in to the device to access the applications, settings and content for their Organization Group, which will be assigned based on the Group Assignment Mode settings you specify under Groups & Settings > All Settings > Devices & Users > General > Shared Device.
The device is now staged and ready for use by the new users.