AirWatch includes a full suite of Mobile Application Management tools for your internally developed and publicly available mobile applications. In this lesson we will deploy the Enterprise App Catalog and walk through the deployment of each type of app - Public and Internal.
|Deploying public applications||
Watch the Video!
A Public Application is one that is available in a public App Store - such as the iTunes App Store, Google Play Store, Windows Phone Marketplace, etc. You have the option to either remotely install these Public Applications or simply recommend them to the end user for installation (support varies across platforms).
To deploy a Public Application
- Click Applications from the Getting Started Wizard or navigate to Apps & Books > Applications > List View and choose the Public tab.
- Verify that the correct Organization Group is selected on the top.
- Click Add Application
- Select the appropriate Platform and type the name of the publicly available application you wish to search for.
- For this step, you may search for AirWatch Content Locker on iOS as seen above.
- Choose the AirWatch Content Locker from the search results by clicking Select on the right-hand side.
- You are now taken to the application options for AirWatch Content Locker:
- Note that most of the information is already populated. You may configure options in the Info tab:
Comments The additional comments displayed when end-users click on the recommended app in the App Catalog Reimbursable Designates whether or not a corporation will reimburse end-users for the purchase of this app. A small icon is shown in the App Catalog indicating whether or not an app is reimbursable Rating A rating system of 1-5 stars that is displayed in the App Catalog Categories Define categories for the app
- The Assignment tab is where you select which devices will receive this application. Select or create a Smart Group of devices and users to receive this application. You can view the devices currently enrolled that will receive this application
- The Deployment tab has more options. For this step, leave Push Mode set to Auto and ensure Remove on Unenroll is checked:
Push Mode Determines if the application is installed automatically (auto) or manually by the user through the App Catalog (on demand) Remove On Unenroll Determines if the application will be removed when a device is unenrolled Prevent Application Backup Disallow backing up the application to iCloud
Allows to configure VPN at an application level. It is currently available for Apple iOS 7+ Send Application Configuration Sends application configurations to devices and allows admins to automatically configure managed applications. Application uses AirWatch SDK Identifies if the application was created using the AirWatch SDK and needs a profile to integrate with AirWatch Add Exception This is helpful for admins who need to deploy the same applications to different groups of users. Admins may wish to push a certain app to one group of users as an "auto" installed application while sending the app to another group of users as an "on-demand" application
- You can Save and Publish the application. For this step, accept the defaults after publishing.
- Your enrolled device will then prompt you to install the application. After accepting, you will be prompted for your iTunes account credentials as with any other application from the App Store.
- You may also select and install the application from the App Catalog on your device
|Deploying internal applications||
Watch the Video!
Internal applications are those apps developed by your organization which you may not necessarily want in a public application store, such as Google Play or the Apple App Store. You may obtain the .ipa (iOS) or .apk (Android) from your developers and upload it to AirWatch. You may push out the app or have users obtain it through the App Catalog.
To deploy an internal app:
- Navigate to the Internal tab and Add Application.
- Click on Add Application.
- You are prompted to upload your .ipa (iOS) or .apk (Android) file. For iOS apps, you may have to provide a Provisioning Profile, which can be obtained from your developers. Other supported file types include: sis, sisx, xap, & appx.
|Application File and Provisioning Profile||Automatically populated when the application is uploaded|
|Application supports APNs||If the application supports Apple Push Notifications Services, you will be required to upload the APNs Certificate|
|Deploying the app catalog||
Watch the Video!
The enterprise app catalog is where your device users can view and install internal and public applications you have loaded into the AirWatch console. To publish this app catalog to iOS and Android devices:
1. Click App Catalog from the Getting Started Wizard or navigate to Apps & Books > All Apps & Books Settings > Apps > Catalog > General > Publishing
2. Give your app catalog a Title, select Enabled for applicable platforms, and upload an icon.
3. Click Save.