Android Agent: Gingerbread and Honeycomb devices affected by Play Store update
Google Play Store Updates
Applications using outdated versions of OpenSSL can no longer be uploaded onto the Google Play Store and existing applications using the outdated versions of OpenSSL are being marked as non-compliant from the Play Store. While OpenSSL is updated in newer versions of the Android AirWatch Agent, some older application versions remain on the Play Store to support older versions of Android OS. Due to the issue with these applications being marked non-compliant, AirWatch is prevented from submitting new versions of the Agent to the Play Store.
As such, the older applications will be unpublished from the Play Store in order to submit the newer versions of the Agent.
AirWatch Agent on Google’s Play Store:
- With the release of Agent 5.3.0, the support for devices running below Android 4.0 was removed. Older versions of the Agent remained on the Play Store
- Agent 5.1.3 remained on the Play Store for supporting Gingerbread (Android 2.3 – 2.3.7)
- Agent 5.2.4 remained on the Play Store for supporting Honeycomb (Android 3.0 – 3.2.6)
- Devices running older versions of Android could only see the Agent corresponding to their supported version.
- Devices running below Gingerbread could not enroll from the Play Store
- Devices running Android 2.3 – 3.2.6 did not receive updates on their Agents once Agent 5.3.0 was released
- With the release of Agent 5.3.1 we've had to remove versions 5.1.3 and 5.2.4 from the Play Store.
Implications for Customers:
- This will only affect devices running the Gingerbread and Honeycomb software. These versions are over two years old.
- For current enrollments
- The device will continue to stay enrolled and maintain communication with the console. It will not receive any updates from Google Play, which is standard.
- For new enrollments
- The Agent will no longer be visible on the Play Store. Administrators can be whitelisted to receive the applications via the Resource Portal after being whitelisted.
Support Contact Information:
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact Account Services & Support or submit a support ticket through myAirWatch.
The AirWatch Team